Oasis Recovery Center provides a wilderness therapy program, an adventure-based treatment option. Unfamiliar environments stimulate lifelong development and growth and we are thrilled to offer this therapy in the most opportune location, Western North Carolina! We provide adventure trips in which you can hike and move toward self-discovery and improvement. When you encounter difficulties, you’ll gain focus, awareness, humility, and the perseverance it takes to overcome them which can then be applied towards your road to recovery.
What is Wilderness Therapy?
Since the 1960s, wilderness therapy (known then as outdoor behavioral healthcare) has been providing assistance to those struggling with addiction and mental health issues. It is a therapeutic approach that uses stimulating activities in nature to accomplish self-discovery and address life difficulties.
This therapy occurs in an environment that is free of all the detrimental forces you typically encounter at home or in environments that trigger or tempt you. Outdoor activities are what make our clients the best they can be by improving their fortitude, resourcefulness, and ability to work together. The mountains, waters, rocks, and trees act as guides, leading you to adaptability and reflection.
Wilderness therapy is part of the adventure therapy group treatment, and it includes a wide array of techniques and skills that prompt behavioral changes. Wilderness therapy employs more hands-on techniques than conventional psychology to treat psychological problems. People involved in wilderness therapy participate in various outdoor activities, such as team games, zip line trips, outdoor journeys, and other outdoor activities.
Because wilderness therapy is performed under the supervision of a professionally trained and accredited therapist, it’s important to recognize that outdoor expeditions and zip lines are not therapeutic in and of themselves, even though individuals who participate in these activities without therapeutic guidance may find them valuable in their recovery efforts.
The therapeutic objective of wilderness therapy is to utilize the experience of taking part in these activities to reach some goal. People learn how to interact or cooperate with others in situations involving some sort of risk. In contrast to other risk situations, the risk in wilderness therapy is not dangerous or potentially harmful but instead is designed to force the individual to examine his or her own feelings and values in relation to a specific issue.
What Does it Treat?
There are several ways for wilderness therapy to get people involved in self-discovery. Substance use disorders can often be effectively treated through wilderness therapy by getting people to open up and express themselves freely. The following are common disorders that can benefit greatly from this form of therapy:
- Substance Use Disorders
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Developmental disabilities
- Bipolar Disorder
- Post-operation recovery
What Activities are done During Wilderness Therapy?
Every recovery facility defines wilderness therapy differently. Oasis Recovery offers a wide range of activities that help you experience a unique journey as you work to solidify the goals and strategy of your treatment plan. The following are some examples of wilderness activities we offer:
- Adventure outings- Adventure therapies, such as rock climbing, hiking, zip line courses, and rope courses, are referred to as such. When people engage in these activities, their goal is to foster confidence by making them overcome an imposing obstacle that they might find difficult or challenging.
- Expedition groups- These activities involve surviving in the wild or exploring new areas. People take part in these activities in groups, and they must surmount some difficulty or task. This builds communication, trust, and self-esteem.
- Green Therapy- This form of wilderness therapy incorporates nature as a mode of healing. Green therapy exercises include farming, horticulture, and forest bathing among many other exercises.
Benefits of a Wilderness Therapy Program
Addiction treatment often relies on talk therapy. While these approaches are vital to the healing process, there is still much work to be done. In fact, long-term recovery relies on overall health. Because of its wide range of benefits, wilderness therapy is an excellent option for those recovering from drug or alcohol addiction. These benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Unfamiliar Setting – The environment plays a key role in substance use. Your drug of choice is probably readily accessible in your regular surroundings, where your friends and colleagues probably also use and encourage you to use. Your regular hangouts, therefore, become triggers for drug use. When you venture into the wild, all of that disappears. Your friends, colleagues, and access to drugs or alcohol are removed. You’re in a setting that you’re probably not accustomed to using drugs or alcohol in. It’s a simple way to reduce the urge to relapse.
- Improves Health – Regularly venturing away from home, whether on foot or by other means, can help you improve your physical health. A lack of physical activity is a common issue, particularly for those who spend most of their time indoors. Just walking outside, you can get fresh air and sunshine, which can improve your immune system, reduce your stress level, and boost your energy. A good wilderness therapy program, on the other hand, includes more substantial activities. A little soreness after a wilderness therapy program is a sign that your muscles are recovering. As a result, you will build a foundation for a more physically active and healthy lifestyle.
- Promotes Deep Reflection – Physical dependence is only one aspect of the mental and emotional difficulties involved in addiction. Thus, any therapy must address both the physical, mental, and spiritual components. A more holistic approach is required to accomplish this. In this regard, wilderness therapy excels. Spending time in nature allows you to see yourself in a greater context. Furthermore, nature’s magnificence and size encourage self-reflection and contemplation of your actions. You are able to see how your addiction damages you and your loved ones as a result.
- Builds Trust – When you’re addicted, you have a difficult time understanding other people’s emotions or extending trust. Yet, when you venture into the wild, you cannot go alone. Others must assist you in accomplishing everything. For example, not every person can set up a tent, start a fire, or cook over a campfire, among other issues. Even though your program leaders will assist you, you must work with other people. By working together and sharing rewards, you may rebuild your trust.
Is Wilderness Therapy Right For Me?
During the addiction recovery process, wilderness therapy reinforces focus, emotional strength, humility, altruism, and self-respect which are all qualities that are important to adopt. Keep in mind that this therapy can be utilized by anyone, regardless of their level of fitness. These therapies may be utilized in a variety of ways, and they may have universally healing benefits. Y5ou do not need to be an Olympic athlete to reap the many benefits of this therapy. Simply show up, connect with nature, and let the healing begin.
Does Insurance Cover Wilderness Therapy?
Until recently, wilderness therapy has not been covered by insurance. However, nearly a dozen class-action lawsuits have been filed in the past few years, claiming that health plans neglected to cover wilderness therapy as a method of treating mental health and substance abuse issues. If used as part of a rehab therapy plan, wilderness therapy might now be covered under your health insurance plan. It will depend on your insurance provider whether you or a loved one is eligible for this form of treatment. If you want to know whether you or a loved one may be covered for this kind of therapy, call Oasis Recovery today. We’d be happy to verify your coverage for you!
Wilderness Therapy at Oasis Recovery Center
Substance use disorders may be effectively treated with the wilderness therapy program at Oasis Recovery Center in Asheville, North Carolina. Wilderness therapy encourages people to cooperate and achieve goals. It encourages self-examination, self-disclosure, and communication. Although wilderness therapy is a valuable complementary treatment, it is not meant to be the sole focus of therapy for people with substance use disorders or other mental health issues.
If you or a loved one is interested in wilderness therapy, or any alternative therapies, contact us today! Oasis Recovery was founded by people in recovery who have a personal understanding of the journey to recovery and are happy to guide you on your way to healing. We know that recovery is always possible and we work with you to create a treatment plan that suits your needs. Our treatment options include:
- Intensive Outpatient Program
- Partial Hospitalization Program
- Aftercare Planning
- Detox Refferals
- Mental Health Referrals
Contact us today for more information about how our treatment programs and services can help you get your life back on track. You do not have to struggle on your own. We are here to help.